Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

Default shop layout "planning" software, freeware?

In article , Bruce L.
Bergman wrote:

On Tue, 16 May 2006 00:45:33 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

"learning from your own mistakes means you now know exactly when to
cringe"

And long experience tells you that when you start diagnosing the
problem and your sixth sense prompts you to say "Oh No - They Didn't,
They Couldn't, They Wouldn't..."

It will be followed shortly thereafter by "Oh Crap, They Did."

Sigh. Yes.

Used to tell one of my programmers that his bright idea(s) wouldn't
work as well as a different approach. When asked how I knew, I used to
say that I had a lot of experience in the history of errors, and could
recognise a new one without actually *doing* it. Not that he ever
listened.

Ditto for other stuff. Got an email back from one of my ships telling
me that a sheave pin had come adrift from a block while towing a small
trawl. Fisrt thing I thought of was 'that's impossible' followed by
'wonder if the sheave was made in-house' followed by 'please don't tell
me they used a bolt threaded into the cheekplate'.

Which they had done, and the rotation had backed it out under load......

Lucky nobody got injured or killed from that one. I *never* would have
done anything so stupid. I personally cut the block up for scrap when
the ship got back into port.

PDW