Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default Cutting an old fridge in half

On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:18:40 GMT, Ignoramus19822
wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006 13:00:49 -0700, daniel peterman wrote:

I cut a file cabinet in half with an air chisel. The kind you use to
separate exhaust system parts. That was one thick cabinet. Took about 5
minutes. Was extremely loud but no flying bits of metal.
There is foam insulation that might catch fire if you use a grinder

Hm, I do have an air chisel. The compressor is a bit too far though, I
think that I would need 300 ft of hose, I have only 200.

So? Buy more hose - it's cheap. If you spend more than $25 for it,
you got ripped.

Air tools will work just fine even if you are out 500 feet of hose
or more, but for two concerns: One, too many quick-connect couplers
in the line will mess up the flow, so use all your 50' and 100' hoses,
and couple them with pipe fittings instead of quick connects where you
can.

And Two, whenever you are out past 100' of hose you need to rig up
an air receiver tank out at the far end of the line - it will easily
make up for that long hose. The tank supplies volume burst for the
tool, and the tank is refilling through the long hose slow but steady.

Use an old portable compressor receiver, and plumb it in series with
a short line feeding the air tools.

I use an old steel Scuba tank for a remote receiver, with a Cross
fitting for in, out, tank and gauge. (I really should go get a
current hydro for it, but I'm not worrying a whole lot about a 3,000
PSI rated tank running at 100 - 125.)

Someone else already brought up being very careful about releasing
the Freon, Ammonia, H2S or other "Methyl Ethyl Bad-Stuff" they might
have used for a refrigerant. You can also find Propane, Butane and
other really flammable stuff used as a refrigerant, and that gets real
exciting if you hit the line with a hot wrench...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545