Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Miller

Default Welding castiron

http://www.rutuonline.com/

checkout this site, lots of info on forming and casting a lead keel.

--
J Miller
"Tom Wait" wrote in message
. com...

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article .com,
says...
I have a bath tub that I want to use to melt lead in [ for a boat keel]
can a black iron pipe be welded to the drain hole? I would also like
cover the overflow hole.

Find a steel tank. I sure wouldn't want to be standing anywhere near a
cast iron tub full of molten lead when it cracks due to uneven heating.
I'd also be surprised if the porcelain didn't spall off like popcorn.
I've seen several keel pouring setups in boatyards here in Maine and all
used steel vessels. The largest was heated with 3 or 4 domestic oil
burners aimed into an enclosure under the tank.

Ned Simmons

I'm surprised no one mention Glenn's project. Go to this page and take a
look at how its done.
http://www.rutuonline.com/html/casting_the_keel.html

Tom