Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hearn

Default FYI: FREECYCLE

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:56:27 UTC, "." wrote:

if you haven't heard of freecycle, do a google. in the last few
days I've offloaded a heapload of bricks, blocks, lintols, tiles
slates and slabs which are left over from this job I'm doing.

it's cheaper than a skip, easier than the tip, the stuff literally gets
carried off your premises to be used by someone else.

yes, you do give it away free, but you can also _get_ stuff for free.
have a google and join your local group, you have nothing to lose
but your old unwanted tat ! LOL

Yes, it works OK. But in my local group (Canterbury) you have to wade
through the ridiculous wants (e.g. "I would like a new model Apple
MAC")...

My group had a bit spat over a joke someone posted disguised as a Wanted
post. The poster got banned and everyone was up in arms. The joke was
aimed at all those people who asked for expensive items etc. Here's a
copy of what was asked for:

[xxxxxxxfreecycle] Wanted: 3 Bedroom House. - xxxxxxxx
Needed for expanding family a nice 3 bedroom house. If anyone has one of
these that is now surplus to requirements I'll gladly take it off their
hands. Must be in large town groups based around (don't mind posh outskirts of town),
and have off street
parking. Prefer Detached, but a semi might do at a push. Must have garden,
and a garage. I can't collect.

Alternatively if anyone has money lying about that they have no use for I'll take it off your hands, prefer that you send it to me, but collection can be
arranged. I can then put this towards the house.

Regards,

xxxxxx yyyyyyyyy

P.S. Gold, Diamonds and precious metals also accepted.

Nothing happened to the guy who posted a poem summarising some recent
requests (someone asking for stuff to sell at car boot sales etc!) etc:

Baaa Baaa Humbug have you any stuff?
Sheepskins, Laptops, Houses, Fluff?
One for the carboot, one for the mam,
And one for the little family who live in a wigwam.