Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andrew Barss

Default Claro Walnut

robo hippy wrote:
: Does any one out there know what this really is? I have heard so many
: different stories. Is it just a color vaiation of Black Walnut? Is it
: the California Walnut? Is it the graft between the English/Persian and
: Black Walnut? Is it just a fancy name for a color variation so that it
: sells better??? This is just driving me nuts. Now I found out that
: there is another walnut called the 'Paradox' which is the main orchard
: tree. Any one seen any of that???

Claro walnut is native to California, and is Juglans Hindsii (named
for the guy who discovered it, Richard Hinds). Black Walnut is
Juglans nigra.

Paradox walnut is a hybrid of English and Claro walnuts.

-- Andy Barss