Bruce L. Bergman

Default Can I convert 115V to 220?

On 24 Nov 2003 20:19:40 -0800, someone who calls themselves
(Phil Barone) wrote:

I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil

The odds are very good that your shop (201 East 35th Street · New
York, NY) has a 120V/240V single phase power feed - having only 120V
available is very rare. Although IIRC there are places in the NYC
area that still have two-phase power and other real oddities...

Look in the power panel and see if there are any breakers with two
handles tied together for the water heater, air conditioning, or air
compressor. If there are, you do. Or call ConEd and ask what they're
feeding you (at least when the lights are on... ;-) they should have
it in their records.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money before you relocate, you
can have them put in a 30A 240V breaker and a wall receptacle right
below the panel, you can leave it when you go. Then you can make up a
heavy extension cord to where the shrink-wrap machine will be sitting.
(Be sure to unplug and store the cord when not in use.)

-- Bruce --
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA

WARNING: UCE Spam E-mail is not welcome here. I report violators.
SpamBlock In Use - Remove the "Python" with a "net" to E-Mail.