Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- ford truck A/C clutch question...

wrote:
once that pulley is off, you aren't going anywhere
with the vehicle.

...unless you get a belt from the same vehicle without
AC. Not a bad solution if you need to use it until you
can collect all the parts...
--Glenn Lyford

On mine, a whole different style of belt is used on the vehicles
without A/C, I've seen them in the U-Pull-It(but not too many, A/C is a
real popular option). So wouldn't work too well with my particular
model, but it's a good thought.

Another thing, the Warner docs make really clear that your snap rings
have to go back in the way they came out or things may come apart when
you don't want them to. Matching bevels and all that. Don't lose the
shaft key, either, that was kind of embarrassing. I didn't forget it,
but it's easy to shift it out of place when putting the clutch plate
back on, mine ended up at the bottom of the spigot, next to the shaft
seal, and not in the slot, was real interesting trying to get that nut
off when the shaft wasn't keyed to the plate. I would have seen the
problem but was working around two corners with the thing in the
vehicle. I've never had that problem when working on one out of the
car.

I found that U-Pull-It can supply all the A/C compressors I want to
carry home for about $7@ with clutches, makes for plentiful spares
where things get cracked, chewed up or lost. I've got removal down to
about 15 minutes. Degreasing takes longer, though. Rubber stoppers
keep the oil drippings in and the moisture and crap out.

Stan