Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve DeMars

Default Cutting an old fridge in half

Remove the door, the compressor, internal racks . . . then anyone can move
it . . .

"Ignoramus19822" wrote in message
My good neighbors asked for my help. They have an old refrigerator (an
ugly beast), lying on the floor of their basement. It needs to be
taken out. It is too heavy and big to be taken out by two guys. So
they asked me to cut it in half, and I agreed. (I will also remove the
motor)

My question here is what is the best way to do it given what I have.

My plan is to just take my 4.5" angle grinder, for which I have a few
4" HF disks, and cut through the outer layer around the "waist" of the
refrigerator (in the middle).

The fridge seems to be made of spot welded sheetmetal.

Would a grinder like this work at all? It is a decent little grinder,
as such, but the fridge is pretty big.

No O/A, plasma cutting tools, directed energy space weapons are available.

I could also go to HD and buy 7.25" disks for my circular saw, but I
worry about damage to bearings.

As a side note, I also have a 7" angle grinder that I bought from
traveling salesmen for next to nothing (Cummins Tools, they travel
with big trailer trucks), but I am a little afraid to use it due to
who I bought it from and for how much. But if anyone reports any good
experiences about it, maybe I should get a couple of disks for it
instead of the 4.5" grinder.