Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
mike

Default Alba STB Questions

"Roger Mills" wrote in
:

I have a couple a questions which I hope that owners of the same model
of STB may be able to answer. At the moment I have it connected to a
single TV - using a Scart cable - and also have a co-ax cable from the
RF loop-through socket to the TV's aerial socket.

If, with the STB running, I select a normal terrestrial channel on the
TV, I get a picture divided into 4 with a big black cross in the
middle - plus all the symptoms of vertical hold not working. If I put
the STB on standby, the terrestrial channels are ok. Is this normal,
or is something wrong with it? I had assumed that the signal coming
out of the loop-though socket *should* be ok, even with the STB in use
- because you may want to record a digital channel whilst watching a
terrestrial channel. Am I missing something?

You don't tell us anything about your telly; is it a portable? Has it only
got one scart?

It sounds to me as if the STB, when powered, is grabbing the set via scart
switching - DVD players are a bugger for this, and other devices can do it
too, specially on rather crude one-scart televisions, and you're seeing one
progamme's syncs and another one's video. I've had this with a Sony 14"
portable and a Goodmans GDB4 STB.

For this type of setup, yes, what you're seeing is quite often normal.

IIRC it can be corrected, if disabling scart switching is not available on
the either telly or STB menu, by snipping a wire in the scart lead.

As I may be wrong, and in any case I don't know your particular units, I
think you should repost on

uk.tech.digital-tv

HTH

mike