Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe

Default Is this statement about Part P correct?

jim_in_sussex wrote:
Sunday Telegraph 14/5/06 page 14: report by Christopher Booker:

heading: ' A shocking mess Mr Prescott left'

[1st 3 paragraphs concern a Mr Walker, a former electrician now working
in an electrical shop due to 2 (s)hags' Part P rules, who served a
customer charged £1250 by a Part P electrician when he would have
charged £60.]

last paragraph

.......At least when I had a new shower unit installed recently, I was
more fortunate than Mr Walker's ex-customer. My pliumber did the job
with his usual skill. But Part P meant that I also had to pay £20 to
an electrician to stand chatting for 10 minutes while the work was
done.
---------------

My undertstanding is that membership of a Part P scheme is a permit to
actually undertake the restricted electrical fitting work NOT a licence
to supervise, oversee or inspect a thrid party's work.

Any opinions please?

Yes, it *is* a licence to supervise, etc. Part P requires that either
a council Building Control Officer (not necessarily electrically trained
or qualified) or an *employee* of a company registered with one of the
half-dozen organisations able to approve self-certification should
certify the installation compliant with regulations. It does not require
any particular person to do the job. DIY is still perfectly acceptable,
as long as approval is obtained from a certified person.