Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith_765

Default Replacing corrugated asbestos-cement garage roof

"Simon" wrote in message
ups.com...
My garage has corrugated asbestos-cement garage roof, which is cracked
beyond repair (I've emergency-sealed cracks and new ones now appear) so
I want to replace it. (I know my local tip will take it with advance
notice).

The company that built it will replace it for not a great deal of money
(about 250 quid I was quoted last year I think) but they will use
fibre-cement sheets.

However I've seen that you can get bitumen type corrugated sheets from
B&Q/wickes etc for about 7 quid a pop.

So the question is, which is the best material for a garage roof? I
kinda get the feeling that with fibre-cement it'll have the same
brittle characteristics and will degrade over not many years. Are the
bitumen sheets any better/worse?

Thanks,

Simon

The bitumen sheets are only compressed card board impregnated with bitumen,
They tend to sag and curl and they look unsightly being black in colour. The
only advantage is that they are light weight. Cement fibre corrugated sheet
will out last the Bitumen. The down side they are a lot heavier.Have you
consider plastic coated steel sheets. They come in lengths to go in one, are
light weight and easy to fix and come in various colours. Down side is that
you may have to under line with an insulation sheet to stop condensation,
but well worth it.

Keith