Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Phillips DVD Player Not Reading DVDs, ejects with no read

Arfa Daily ha escrito:

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
My 4 year old Phillips DVD player fails to read any DVD. Happened
without warning. It indicates that it is reading the DVD, it seems to
be trying to seek to a starting position, but never fully spins up the
disk. After 2 minutes or so, the DVD is ejected. No message.

What do you all think: cleaning or throw away?

i have 'repaired' numerous dvd players by cleaning them.Don't listen to
those who say it won't work - just try it anyway, what have you to
lose? this is a repair group after all.

if its a philips machine, the only hitcvh may be that you'll probably
need the special hexagonal driver to get the case open! may mean a trip
to a local hardware store.
regards,
b.

I'm glad to see that you put the word " repaired " in inverted commas.

....that was because I didn't consider the machines in question broken.

Presumeably, this is to indicate that you are using it in the loosest
possible connotation. I repair DVD players for a living - hundreds of them
from all manufacturers and, whilst you may, on one occasion out of a
hundred, get a fix from cleaning the lens, it won't be a long term one.

Disagree. I still have 3 machines which I restored in this way going
strong after 4 years, 4 years and 3 years respectively. (Philips, Sharp
and a no-namer) plus another I gave to a friend last year which I
believe is still operating fine.

If you read my reply properly, I didn't say that it *wouldn't* work, only
that it was *unlikely* to work, which I'm pretty sure that most on here -
and you too if you are realistic - would agree is an honest representation
of the situation.

I know the laser pickups commonly fail, and in a high proportion of
machines the power supply is the other main culprit. Ribbon cable
failures resulting in 'no disc' errors I have seen a few times of late
too. However, the point I was trying to make is that as with any
optical device, cleaning is critical to proper operation and is a
common reason for failure.

Of course the owner should try cleaning it - it's a fundamental try,

....certainly is a 'fundamental try' (sic), especially for a
non-technical person who would doubtless be able to do little else.
more so if the unit isn't used that often (in which situation, your
theory as to the dust being blown off is flawed). Hence: cleaning is
worth a try before condemning it to the landfill. Since the OP wanted
to choose between 'cleaning or throw away', I just think you should
have put that more clearly in your post, it might have been more
helpful.

but I
stand by my original opinion that it is UNLIKELY to effect a ( lasting )
repair.

Ok Ok, let's not get all defensive! ;-) I do take your point though
that dvd players tend to fail more due to psu and laser failure.
but ....(lasting) repair unlikely - why not? experience shows it's
perfectly possible, especially if the laser unit was OK and dirt really
was the cause of the problem, in which case there's no reason why the
unit couldn't go on working for another few years, at least 'till
cleaning is required again!

-B.