Roy

Default LP tank valve removal

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:54:45 -0600, David A. Webb
wrote:

===I have a 100 pound LP tank that is collecting dust.
===
===I want to use this tank as a reservoir for compressed air.
===
===I would like to remove the valve, and replace it with a
===much lower restriction ball valve. I'm assuming the original valve
===won't allow much air flow, and probably not enough for an
===impact wrench
===
===My grandfather says it is all but impossible to get those
===valves out.
===
===Are the valve threads sealed with something that has
===to be heated to soften?
===
===Is there some other secret to getting the original valve out?
===
===Thanks,
===
===Dave
===

I removed valves from two 100# LP cylinders already and the biggest
problem was anchoring the tank to be able to jump on the end of a
cheater bar on a large crescent wrench, so I could apply a good jot
and break them free. I wrapped a chaian around it, and drove my truck
up on the chain until it touched the tank and also postioned a long
bar through the holes in the base for additonal holding power and just
jumped up and down on the cheater bar, and out they came.

I just did the same with some 20# old style cylinders as well.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.