Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default !@#$%^&* ants -- how to get rid of them

"aurgathor" wrote in message
news:835ag.1727$RY2.1491@trnddc02...
I'm having some problems with ants. I first noticed them about a year
ago,
and I don't seem to be able to get rid of them. First, they moved into
an
electric outlet in my kitchen (a very convenient place, I guess) so I
vacuumed them out and sprayed the outlet with "Ortho HighPower Home
defense"
against ants and roaches. So they moved to another outlet. I cleaned
that
one, too, and sprayed all other outlets in the kitchen. I also made sure
that the kitchen was cleaned up. However, the ants are still there
somewhere, they apparently just moved to some place I can no longer find
them. (they might be underneath my home)

So, what's the best way to tackle them? I'll be doing a complete remodel
of
my kitchen in a couple of months, and if there were something I could
spray
behind and underneath the cabinets before putting them back, that could
probably help tremendously.

TIA

The secret to killing ants is to get their mound. There are granules that
you can buy that you spread around, and they take them back to the mound.

I used to take a small amount of ground corn flakes and spray them with
Malthion. Mix them up with a good bit of regular corn flakes. Crush them
to make them easy for an ant to carry.

Then, Diazanon came out with granules. The last one I used had a bag with a
screen in the top. You would just walk around and let the granules fall out
of the screen. Mostly around foundations, walkways, piles of junk, etc.
They worked just as good, and less work.

Don't expect quick results, as with spraying. It might take a week or two
for them to carry enough poison to the mound to kill them all. Good thing
is that the mound won't be immediately occupied by the next group of housing
challenged ants, as there will be residual poison in there.

Killing ants is no problem, but you want to get the mound. If you don't get
the mound and the queen, you are just farting in a stiff breeze.

Steve