Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Default Grout, never knew this!!!

wrote in message ...

And I'm in Canada, so I can't tell you much about California law.

I can, however, tell you about home repair/improvement franchises
generally. Generally, they are pretty pathetic. Worse than
having Home Depot do installs .... you pay more .. you get less.

Generally, these guys are hacks ... if they were any good, they
wouldn't be working for $25 an hour.

The franchise holder ( a fellow in his seventies, I think you said)
will likely get less than two thirds of that $300. Here, a good
tilesetter earns 60 dollars an hour from contractors ... more from
homeowners. So that $200 he's earning shouldn't be buying more
than a couple of hours. That he will come back to try to earn that
$300 tells you he's a hack.

Yours is a small job ... nobody is going to come and look at it and
give you a free estimate.

You have a few options ... settle with the guy ... give him a couple
of hundred and tell him to go away ... or have him finish what he
started and pay him the three hundred. Whichever you agree on.

Then either live with the result ... or find yourself a good
tilesetter. Pay him to look at the job and tell lyou what to do.

Ken

Actually, he came back today and ended up doing a decent job, not great,
but decent. I can live with it at any rate. We were quite civil to each
other during the process, I lifted the stop on the check, and all is
well. Thanks to everyone who answered.

Cheri