Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default marathon water heater

First get a thermometer and get an objective reading of the water temp. I
don't know if you are just sensitive to hot water.

Knowing the temp of the heating element is irrelevant. It is either very
hot or not. The element itself is not temp regulated. There should be 220V
across the element when it is on and 0V when it is off. Turning the
thermostat knob should be able to achieve both on and off states.

If it is always on, that's definately a cause of hot water, there must be
another thermal breaker keeping it from boiling if that is the defect.

The thermostat or sensor still may be defective if it is far out of
calibration but otherwise working.

"rjwrong" wrote in message
ups.com...
Having problems with my water heater heating my water too hot. I
turned the thermastats all the way down to 110, but out of the tap it
seems way hotter, cant keep your hands there long anyway! I dont quite
understand how to diagnose an a/c electric circuit, but live in the
middle of nowhere and was hoping for some help. Searched the archieves
but cant seem to figure out what is wrong. I was thinking the
thermastats where bad, but here an audible click when the upper and
lower are turned up higher, and there is about a 220 volt drop across
both heating elements. Stumped!!, any input would greatly be
appreciated. I was gonna try a infared temp gun on both heat element
areas to see if could condemn one of the thermastats that way, but
unsure if it will be a accurate diagnosis. thanks jrw