Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default different current transformer safe to use?

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
I seriously doubt that your laptop will consume 114W of power while
operating (P =19V x 6A).

You'd perhaps be surprised. Many modern 'desktop replacement' laptops with
desktop CPUs, lots of RAM and powerful video chips/lots of video RAM use
that sort of power. I've seen many laptops with Athlon 3000+ cpus etc with
huge power requirements, and they commonly have battery lives of an hour or
even less when running hard.

If the manufacturer supplied a 6 Amp adapter then it's blatantly obvious IMO
that running a 3 Amp adapter is asking for trouble. It's not just the
adapter that is at risk, the laptop could be destroyed if the adapter
decides to freak out and go into an overvoltage state.

Dave