Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Default OT- ford truck A/C clutch question...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
Anybody here ever replace the A/C compressor clutch on a ford Truck?
This is a 1990 F150, 5.0. I am getting a loud-ish curnchy grinding
bearing noise that I think is comming from said clutch. I am 90%
sure that is the culprit and will confirm that, if it ever stops
raining here in NE Mass. Any tricks (ie. special tools, hints,
tips, etc.)I ought to know about before I dive in on this one?

It always helps when i tap the collective mind here at RCM before
getting in too deep. When ever I don't, I end up doing so
mid-project to figure out how to finish.

I appreciate for any ideas!

-AL A

Ford has used several different compressors over the years. The York style
looks like a regular compressor (verticle pistons) and is the easiest to
work on (IMO). The other is like the Frigidairs used on GM and many others
(horizontal radial pistons). Look closely at the inside bore of the clutch
and see if it has threads there. If so those are for the puller to screw
into, then a bolt screws into the puller to press the clutch face off.
Here is a link to the York manual. http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/york.htm
It has an identification section that may help.