Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default shop layout "planning" software, freeware?

On 15 May 2006 18:13:21 -0700, "Bryan" wrote:

(2nd try)

http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

I have not tried it, though I liked the paid for version of sketchup
OK.

Something I have intended to do, but have not got around to, is drawing
machines more or less to "size" (well, a block to size) and their work
areas as flat thin areas they sit on. The idea being that while you
need x feet in front of the mill, that can overlap with or be the same
x feet in front of the lathe (for example.)

What could be done..is everybody measure their machines Useable
footprint and post it, so a chart could be made.

Bridgeports are pretty common..but who knows the usable footprint of a
6x8 surface grinder?

That would be a nice chart to put in the FAQ or somewhere, just for
this reason.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33