Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default shop layout "planning" software, freeware?

On 16 May 2006 02:56:14 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 16 May 2006 00:44:38 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 15 May 2006 18:03:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Does it rhyme with "shaper" by any chance?

Nah..the hole in the wall is strictly for.. er.. ventilation.
Yah..thats it..ventilation.

Hm. After what you wrote about the bathroom fan, perhaps I could believe
that.

I was more thinking about when I spotted the MasterMill..and gave
myself 6 inches of travel in either direction before the cranks hit
machines on either side...blush....

Ive since gotten much much better at that sort of thing..enough so
that customers will ask me how to layout their shop when doing a
startup. But at the time...it was a bit...ah..embaressing.

"I meant to do that." "Yeah, right, Dad..." sez my 7 year old daughter.
Kid seems to be a bit sarcastic at times & doesn't buy the BS stories.
Wonder where that comes from.

But yes, absolutely, graph paper and post-it notes with machine shapes
on them is the way to go. My shop space is limited (30'x18'), but I
think I have a good layout for the 2 mills, the 2 presses, bandsaw,
lathe, drillpress, desk, workbench, and storage.

About storage - I've been buying (used) file cabinets lately, and using
those instead of open shelving. I'm very happy with that; label the
drawers, fill 'em, and then _close 'em_. Neatens up the shop nicely.

Its still hard to beat IBM punch card cabinets for storage. Im always
on the lookout for more.

Hm. Good point. Nice heavy small drawers. Perfect for tooling, I'd
think? I should call that furniture salvage yard again. He's got some
pretty old stuff way in the back.

They are also ****ing marvelous for nuts and bolts, roll pins and all
manner of bits and pieces. Pull out the clamp thingy..and depending
on the drawer style..you may want to put a block of wood at the rear,
or a sheet of cardboard or something along the bottom (some have holes
to push the cards upwards, others have semi open backs.

Its great to be able to either slide the drawer out and hunt around,
or simply slide it out then pick it up and take it over to the bench.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33