Anthony Britt

Default Using Brass Round to Lap Chuck Jaws

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I was reading up on lapping chuck jaws and came across the thread
about using a brass bar and valve lapping compound to do the job. I
want to make sure I understand the process before I try it.

snip

In the procedures I have read previously, it is necessary to apply a
clamping load to the jaws of the chuck. This normally consists of a ring of
metal clamped by its internal diameter on the steps of the chuck jaws. This
leaves the insides of the jaws free to be lapped. If the jaws were lapped
without a calmping load applied, then any wear between chuck jaws and scroll
would allow the jaws to move apart, and cause uneven lapping.

HTH

Anthony
Remove eight from email to reply.