Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default OT- ford truck A/C clutch question...

On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:06:49 -0400, "Al A."
wrote:

Thanks for all of the info, guys. Like I said, if it ever stops raining
here I'll verify that that is the source of the noise. I like the "use a
belt from the same but non-A/C vehicle" idea. Why didn't I think of that?

I'm not even going to suggest that one to the Boss - in Southern
California there is only one thing that keeps you sane on a 110F day
when the freeways are all Stop and Stoppier Traffic. And that is
Blessed Coolness at the touch of a knob.

In the mean time it looks like I have some reading to do...

Al A. posting just a (long) stones throw from the lovely, and about to
overflow, Merrimack river...

In the immortal words of God, to Noah (as voiced by Bill Cosby):

"Noah, How long can you tread water?" ;-P

Keep your powder dry, and the rowboat tied to the biggest tree.

If you haven't already got it, forget about calling the insurance
agent now - Flood coverage has a 30 or 60 day waiting period.

And slap the hell out of the first neighbor that says something
stupid like "I've lived here 50 years and the river's never gotten
high enough to flood this neighborhood, and it aint never gonna!" -
that just jinxed it...

I got my clutch apart finally, and (after closing time, naturally)
found they gave me the wrong pulley for a narrower Multi-V belt. And
it isn't reusable anyway - three of the five thin web spots at the
ventilation slots on the pulley face were cracked through.

Ford stamps the part number on the inside of the pulley. You will
need an external snap-ring pliers (jaws open apart when squeezed) with
the large-pin 45 or 90 degree bent tips.

Had to make a puller for the pulley, no room for a 3-jaw without
pulling the radiator shroud, and there's a whole lot of other crap
that comes off before the shroud does.

Took some Unistrut, Chop Saw, 1/2" NC bolt and nuts, and MIG welder,
and wangled up a fixed arm two-jaw puller to fit in the space
available underneath a Van - If I use it again, I'll come up with a
custom nose piece to push against the bearing boss rather than a stack
of washers. (No Lathe, Darn...) It's a friction fit, so once its
moving the pulley comes off easy.

This one does NOT lose the shaft seal when you take it apart, and I
checked it with the Leak Seeker to be sure there were no slow leaks.

Back to the supply house in the morning...

-- Bruce --