Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Bailen

Default How to use a RAS planer head?

On Fri, 05 May 2006 12:55:10 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
I just bought one at a garage sale. Oddly, it is not mentioned in the
instruction book that came with it.

All I can figure is that it goes on in place of the blade; the arbor
nut goes into the head and then the head is screwed on with the nut
in place. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like the arbor is too
long; does it require a spacer?
Thanks.

Don't know exactly why I want it, but for $2...

You just wasted $2...

When/if you try it, take very shallow cuts no more than 1/2 the diameter of
the planer wide. Then be prepared to spend hours smoothing the *very* rough
cuts.

I have one of the types that screws on the back of the motor. I've
never tried it since nephew and neighbor both store their planers in
my shop, but it sounds like the RAS planar could be useful for a quick
pre-surfacing on old or painted wood if you don't have a set of
"beater" blades to put in the planer to get the crud off the surface
of the wood before using a good set of blades.

Regards,
Ed