Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Bailen

Default Drill chuck for Radial Arm Saw

In addition to the advice you have gotten from others, I might also
add that a drill chuck is not designed to handle side loads. If you
were to try to do any routing using a drill chuck, you would probably
find the router bit quickly walking out of the chuck. Even at "low"
speeds, that can get real exciting.

Regards,
Ed

On Thu, 04 May 2006 20:05:08 -0400, willshak
wrote:

I have an old Craftsman 10" Radial Arm saw. I want to get a drill chuck
that will screw onto the threaded shaft that the saw blades are attached
to. I guess it is 5/8" diameter. I only want to attach router bits.
Does anyone know what chuck I should be looking for? I'm just an
occasional woodworker, so I don't need a high end chuck.
Excuse any incorrect nomenclature. I call everything "whatchamacallits"