Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Decent low cost oxy/ace regulator set

Jim Stewart wrote:

I can't deal with my 30+ year old Tanaka
regulator set and its continual drifting.

What's a reasonable new set of regulators
that won't cost an arm and a leg. I'm
not adverse to buying a whole new set if
that's the cheapest way.

You might consider getting yours fixed. They probably just need new seats. If
your town doesn't have a good regulator rebuild/repair shop then you might send
them to Hansen & Miller in Seattle - those guys are completely awesome.

Give Harold a call at 206-782-8842, he can tell you if your Tanaka regulators
are fixable and also if they're worth fixing.

I use Victor regulators anymore, because parts are sure to be available for
them. You might consider investing in a 2-stage oxygen regulator, but a single
stage is generally acceptable for acetylene. A single stage regulator works
pretty good for oxygen too but you can do a lot better for a few more bucks.

If you want to buy used, look for the 2-stage Airco regulators. If they don't
have to bounce around in a truck you might also watch ebay for Union Carbide
regulators, those are really sweet but *heavy*.

GWE