Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Default Molded foam parts

"Ed Huesers" wrote in message
I have a customer wanting to make a large ridged part and I'm
thinking a foam part would work good. I've searched groups google here
and found nothing.
I'm thinking the kind of process they use in the auto industry to
make the foam dash with the skin formed on it by baking the part. Does
anyone know the name of the process used to make these types of
foam/skinned parts.
I'm wondering what kind of molds are used and what foams can be used.

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com

These foams can be made with numerous different qualities. I made some foam
"projectiles" for my anti-tank gun that I made for paintball use. I got my
chemicals from Miltec inc. I can give you a phone number if you email me.

They mix the chemicals, and recommend operating parameters to give you the
results that you want. In my case, I was looking for a very dense, but soft
foam with a thin skin and a bright orange color so I could find them later
that could be poured at room temperature.

I made my mold from aluminum. I used dowel pins to line them up, and C
clamps to hold them closed. I made some test molds from wood, that worked
fine if coated with wax for release.