Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Lundberg

Default Molded foam parts

"Ed Huesers" wrote in message
I have a customer wanting to make a large ridged part and I'm
thinking a foam part would work good. I've searched groups google here
and found nothing.
I'm thinking the kind of process they use in the auto industry to
make the foam dash with the skin formed on it by baking the part. Does
anyone know the name of the process used to make these types of
foam/skinned parts.
I'm wondering what kind of molds are used and what foams can be used.

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com

I've developed dozens of parts using the self skinning foam process. A
master is made from balsa wood, plaster, NC machined wax, whatever. Then a
two part mold is made from RTV Silicone (room temp. cured silicone) which
allows for really easy extraction of the finished part even when parallel
surfaces may be called for. There are many foam harnesses available and most
foam manufacturers are able to come up with the exact sponginess you need.
From really hard rubber like, to very light and soft. Once the tool is made,
you mix 1/3 hardener with 2/3 resin, stir like crazy for 15 seconds, pour in
the mold, quickly cover like in a clamshell, then put under a press as the
foam will immediately boil and exert huge pressures inside the tool. In
about five minutes you can demold, clean out excess flash, clean out the
bleed hole, and pour the next part. This, of course, is for low production
casting. As you can see, one part every 10 minutes or so.

My son is using Hydroseal Polymers Inc. 1215 Madera Way, Riverside Ca 92503
for the front foam bumper on his RCWindjammer www.rcsailcars.com --- I'll be
happy to send you some pictures of his process. Just email me.