Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default shop layout "planning" software, freeware?

On Mon, 15 May 2006 17:44:14 GMT, Gunner wrote:

Indeed. And dont just use the physical footprint of the machine..but
the working envelope.
Ask me how I learned that lesson....sigh

Does it rhyme with "shaper" by any chance?

But yes, absolutely, graph paper and post-it notes with machine shapes
on them is the way to go. My shop space is limited (30'x18'), but I
think I have a good layout for the 2 mills, the 2 presses, bandsaw,
lathe, drillpress, desk, workbench, and storage.

About storage - I've been buying (used) file cabinets lately, and using
those instead of open shelving. I'm very happy with that; label the
drawers, fill 'em, and then _close 'em_. Neatens up the shop nicely.