Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Booster pump to increase mains pressure

On Mon, 15 May 2006 10:41:07 -0700, Martin Pentreath wrote:

Hi,

I have pretty low mains water pressure (just over 1 bar) and a fairly
low flow rate to the taps. Thames Water won't do anything because they
say it is within acceptable limits. I've just been looking at these
things:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...5&g=122&r=2158
It would be an easy job to put one into the incoming main in the
cellar, but would it make any worthwhile difference. Rate of flow is
more important to me than pressure, especially when more than one tap
is open. I've never quite got my head around the difference between
rate of flow and pressure, but I don't see how one of these things
could actually suck more water out of the incoming supply in order to
increase the rate of flow.

It is illegal to pump water out of the mains without a permit (which
likely won't be given).

There are three ways to improve the mains water to your home. None cheap
all with drawbacks.

1) Replace the existing mains from the road with 25mm MPDE this will not
increase the standing pressure but will increase the flow rate.

2) Fit accumulators and a non-return valve. This only help if the
pressure is good during most/some of the day and not at other times when

3) Apart from the sink put all water into a storage cistern as low as
possible and then fit a quality negative head pump to supply all the rest
of the house.