Robin Prater

Default Dimmers For Low Voltahe Halogens

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
The Question Asker wrote:

Hi,
Was wondering if its possible to fit a dimmer to low voltage lights

with a
transformer.

AFAIK, Halogens with an electronic transformer (much lighter than iron

cored
one) can be used with a dimmer designed for use with such things.
Those with ordinary iron cored heavy transformers cannot be used with

dimmers
due to their inductance upseting the triac control and possibly

overheating the
transformer arising from a DC component fed to the transformer.

My experience has been the reverse of Bobs - I have been using low voltage
Halogen lamps via standard transformers and a dimmer for the last ten years
without any problems. I started with electronic transformers but they did
not like dimming lights less than 50% before they cut out. They also didn't
last long and I replaced them with standard transformers. Because the
switch on current is higher with inductive loads, I took the precaution of
halving the power rating of the dimmer. Read the manufactures spec
carefully before you buy.

Robin