Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin

Default Disassembly of Large Butterfly-Type Water Valve

I'm trying to disassemble a large (20" diameter) water valve, so that I
can separately scrap the steel housing and the bronze valve plate. I
removed the "steering" wheel and the worm gearbox, as well as a plug
located 180 degrees on the opposite side, and can see the ends of what
appear to be stainless-steel axles about 2 inches in diameter.

Each of these axles has a threaded hole in the end. I'm thinking this
might be arranged for a puller of some sort. If so, I should be able
to weld a matching bolt to a piece of pipe and yank the axles with a
jury-rigged slide hammer.

Am I on the right track? Anyone know if this stuff is just pressed
together?

Martin