Roger Mills

Default Dimmers For Low Voltahe Halogens

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
The Question Asker wrote:

Hi,
Was wondering if its possible to fit a dimmer to low voltage lights

with a
transformer. Was looking for a remote control one, but keep reading that

its
not possible to use one but have read a few post about them being used
what's the correct procedure.
Cheers
Oli

AFAIK, Halogens with an electronic transformer (much lighter than iron

cored
one) can be used with a dimmer designed for use with such things.
Those with ordinary iron cored heavy transformers cannot be used with

dimmers
due to their inductance upseting the triac control and possibly

overheating the
transformer arising from a DC component fed to the transformer.

Bob

My experience with these was that, although they dim ok, the use of a dimmer
makes the transformer buzz unacceptably - even when the dimmer control is
set to full power.

It may depend on how much you pay - and these were relatively cheap ones
from Screwfix - but they were claimed to be dimmable and compatible with the
dimmers used.

In the end, I did away with the dimmers and resorted to switching the lamps
in banks. [I have 12 lamps in 3 groups of 4, with each each group having its
own switch and transformer].

Roger