jim rozen

Default Pipe joint compound

In article , ATP says...

I wonder if this was a common practice 'way back
when,' using sewing thread to seal pipe fittings?

It is still used, we used to refer to it as lampwick. They still have it at
the plumbing supply, so someone else must be using it too. It is good for
pipe carrying water, as it expands when wet, or at least that's what my boss
told me. It should be used in conjunction with dope. It is the way to go if
you want to make really sure something doesn't leak- part of a header, for
example.

This was real fine stuff, it looked like the plumber just
raided his wife's sewing box. There was no dope in with
it, because the individual threads, and the strands within
the threads, are easily separated.

It obviously sure works great, because those valves never
leaked. I still have two of the old ones in place, but
give the state of the washer (rubber washers simply don't
last any length of time in hot water lines IMO) I don't
think I'll count on them to hold.

I'm sure some poor fool will be into that house in another
hundred years, cussing me out. "goddam teflon seat ball
valves. Those things are crap. Why didn't that guy use
the unobtainium valves here??"

please reply to: