Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Default city sewer backing up through the basement floor drain ???

"tom" wrote in message
nk.net...
In article .com,
"scale" wrote:

I poped of the floor drain in my basement because i started getting
water in the basement a few days ago. It appears that water came up
from there......i found what appeard to be toilet paper that had come
up through the drain not to mention some other weird stuff i couldnt
identify.

Would the city doing maintenence or somthing...cause this? I havent

had
this happen in the 3 years ive been living here. IM not sure what to
do. I have tried to contact the city but havent gotten a response to

my
questions yet.

it is making a damn mess to say the least. It appears to be clean
water......not black or anything. I tried flushing and turning all all
the water to the faucets everywhere and it didnt make anything come up
throught he drain........

Not sure where to start. If it was tree roots a clogged drain i would
notice water come up it when i did the aboved mentioned things but i
dont see the little bit of water i see down the drain rising at all
during any of this.

It has me more than concerned......

any ideas?

I had the same problem after moving to my current house. Our storm and
sanitary sewers are the same in my old neighborhood and when we'd get a
torrential downpour both rainwater and raw sewage would back up through

the
basement floor drain when the sewers could no longer carry away the volume
of water. I fixed the problem by replacing the ball in the chamber below
the drain which was supposed to float up and seal the backflow problem.

The
ball had worked at one time but had split in half and no longer
raised/floated up to seal against a gasket that was slightly smaller than
the ball. Check out the "FLOODGUARD" at link below. This is similar in
concept to what
has worked for me.

http://www.contractormag.com/products/0306/index.html

Another link: http://www.keidel.com/mech/floodguard.htm