Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Don Klipstein

Default Shake Flashlights are a Joke

In article .com,
wrote:
A good buddy bought 2 at the rodgers ohio flea market. You did way
better than he did.

His flashlight worked off those 2 batteries but they went dead, and
shaking didnt work

It turned out the thing that shakes wasnt magnetic, which is needed for
charging and the little board was bad. My buddy is a retired
electronics engineer and found them interesting....

There have een other reports too, from tampa of the complete junk type.

I have seen two dollar stores in the western suburbs of Philadelphia
selling $2 shake flashlights. The packages were different.
In both cases the magnet was fake, the coil was shorted, and the circuit
board had no energy storage device other than non-rechargeable "coin"
batteries.

Meanwhile, I have heard of $2 shake flashlights that are not fake,
although I wonder how well they actually work.

Meanwhile, higher price shake flashlights do work, although many to most
are not that bright and don't maintain their brightness for long. Some
have both batteries and the shake-generator stuff.
One that was on display at a local hardware store so that people could
try it out did not work well, needing to be constantly shaken to provide
any decent light that was still less than that of a typical LED "keychain"
light.

It appears to me that the $30-$40 units at Target are pretty decent,
although they still have only one low-power LED and I expect them to
underperform a 2-AA size Mag Light.

Now for some review links in the "LED Museum" / "Punishment Zone"
site,
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net:

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/second/shake2.htm - a "Diamond" unit

http://insulatorz.home.att.net/night1.htm - a "Nightstar" unit