Posted to alt.home.repair
JessicaG

Default Does our plan make sense?

The "replacing all the wiring" is the crux. Why do you want to do
that? There are plenty of homes with older wiring than that which are
still in good condtion. If you have to replace the wiring, and you're
ripping all of the exterior sheetrock, removing all of the window
casings, etc., you're basically gutting the house. Are you living
there now? If so, you won't want to when the gutting starts.

When we upgraded the outlets a couple years ago we noticed a lot of fraying
in the cloth-like wiring cover for a number of the outlets. We repaired them
but knowing that, we think our long-term goal is to totally replace the
wiring. We'd also like to add appropriate wiring (speaker, phone, cable tv,
network, security, exterior lighting, more outlets etc) in various locations
and some empty conduit for future needs. We also would like to redesign the
circuits since it doesnt quite make sense (ie the front door circuit also
controls the living room fan and the garage lights).

I agree that we don't want to live there while the gutting goes on but
unfortunately this isn't really possible, but we're not talking the whole
house, just the first floor. It'll be tough at times I'm sure but we'll
deal.