Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7121

Default OT proper way to kill a chicken

On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:43:05 -0400, Metal Man wrote:
Well, my Dad grew up on a big farm in Indiana during the Depression...
My Mom, too, on another farm.
-
Take your chicken to chopping block with a sharp axe. I thought it very
bad manners but that chicken just ran around until it bled itself out.
To get the rest of the blood out, hang upside down on a tree on a nail.
I think I was 13 maybe. Then Mom's job was to de-feather it. Get a big
pot of boiling water outside on the ground and dip your bird in, neck
1st all the way submeged. Wait a little while. Take out, and over lots
of old newspaper, most of the big feathers will come right out. The
little pin feathers is a chore getting them all. Then Mom degutted them
right in the kitchen sink. Not much really holds its or for that
matter---our guts in. Everything slips right out the anus end. Then
butcher it.

Sounds good, I have a log piece that I could use for a chopping
block.

We raised about 100 Rhode Island Reds when I was kid in a dirty,
old,

Thats what we have. Five Rhode Island Reds and one New Hampshire red,
the latter is going to die tonight. This one is three years old and
always had some antisocial behaviors.

stinking hen house. And one red Banny rooster ruled the nest! I ate
lots of egg salad and the occasional chicken salad sandwiches when I was
a kid for school lunch. And sold our brown eggs door to door all over
our neighborhood and always cheaper than store bought. That 1st fresh
killed chicken was the hardest for me to eat; after that, not so bad.
Ever see triple egg yolk eggs?

Saw some doubles, from young chickens.

Ever see how all the chickens will single out just one and peck it to
death? I guess that is where the term, "pecking order" came from.
Washington politicians do it to themselves every so often, too!

I read about it, never saw it.

Want to know how to skin white domestic rabbits? Ditto eating my 1st
rabbit.
-
Myself? I know how, like if my Navy ship sank and I had to survive.
But, like rabbits, I prefer to have them as a pet. If I had a farm I'd
starve because all those critters would be pets.

yes, we keep them for eggs too,

Kurt

OT proper way to kill a chicken

Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Sun, May 14, 2006, 3:18pm (EDT+4)
From: lid (Ignoramus7121)
One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a chicken.
Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.