Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,alt.machines.cnc,dfw.forsale
Martin

Default Linear Table FS: Reid-Ashton / Thomson SPB-16 OPN / $250

I think most resourceful folks probably use all the options. The
scrapyard I've been using is an OK place to get iron and steel,
sometimes aluminum. They pay you 6 cents a pound when you drop off
good iron, but they sell it back to you for 50 cents a pound. If we
could just manage to intercept the stuff we want before someone else
junks it ........

What that means is, if I auction the linear bearings and shafting on
Ebay, I'll be stuck with this 150-lb steel base that was custom-made
for this very-expensive linear table assembly, and has no other value
to me at present (other than weighing down one end of my garage). When
I take it to the scrap yard, I will get $9 if I torch it in half (to
meet their "short iron" definition), or $6 if I drop it off "as is".
But if someone sees it in their pile and wants it, they'll have to pay
$75. It's a damn shame, and goes directly against my sense of
conservation.

Martin

Cliff wrote:
On 12 May 2006 13:57:11 -0700, "Martin" wrote:

the base and table would accompany me on my next trip to the
scrapyard.

I wonder how many are shopping there in the first place then using Ebay ...
--
Cliff