Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Powering laptop etc in car from inverter?

In article ,
Slurp wrote:
A reasonable sized car battery will be around 70 amp/hour at the 20 amp
rate.

? where did 20A come from?

20 amps at 12 volts is 120 watts,

Not when I went to skool

so it would be reasonable to
expect something like 3 hours use at 100 watts 240 volts.

WTF?

Remind me not to post while on the phone. ;-)

I meant the 20 hour rate, which would be around 3.5 amps discharge.
A 150 watt invertor takes approx 12.5 amps, and the higher discharge rate
means the battery won't deliver quite its full capacity.

But 3 hours from a 70 amp/hour battery driving a 150 watt invertor at max
isn't a million miles out. ;-) Although theory says nearer 6.

Sorry for the rubbish post.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.