Jim Wilson

Default Harbor freight tools

George E. Cawthon wrote...
I don't have a clue
who or what Norton is or says, but if they say diamond
dissolves in iron or steel, then they don't know squat about
physics or chemistry. Any first year (well, maybe 2nd year)
chemistry student should be able to tell you that diamond
won't dissolve in steel. Maybe you and Norton (if they said
that) don't know what the word "dissolve" means?

You might try reading some lapidary sources, to get a more
accurate idea of cutting and polishing with diamonds. But
enough of this, as I said I'm not getting paid to educate
you. My comment was just meant as a caution to the spead of
misinformation. I've accomplished that, so I need say no
more.

1. Norton is one of largest manufacturers and suppliers of abrasive
products in the world. They may even be the largest; they claim so. I
think it is safe to assume their engineers have completed at least two
years of chemistry and physics and have come to a good understanding of
the word "dissolve," but if you doubt it, you can call them and ask about
their credentials. You can reach them at one of the numbers listed on
this page:

http://www.nortonabrasives.com/locations.asp

2. You might try reading some technical literature on the use of diamonds
in cutting iron and iron alloys, including steel.

3. Your comment accomplished the opposite of your stated intent: it
spread misinformation.

Here are some more references for you to debunk, if you have time:

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=262
http://www.cerncourier.com/main/article/41/6/9
http://www.nature.com/nsu/020722/020722-1.html

Oh, heck, just do what I did: