Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default Powering laptop etc in car from inverter?

wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Be careful that there is enough charge available to start the car.

yup! Or park on a hill.

But mine's an auto...

I tried starting one I once had with the crank handle, coudnt get it to
turn tho, nor could anyone else. Most disappointed.

NT

I managed to start a Morris Minor Traveller with a crank handle when I was
about 7! Bloody hard going though, and the kickback was deeply unpleasant.

Proper engines - those were the days...

Yesterday, my Daewoo Lanos ECM computer decided to throw a fit and, although
the car had done 4 journeys that day, it locked the malfunction light on
and refused to inject fuel (based on sniffing the exhaust whilst SWMBO was
cranking it - ooerr Missus). Lots of fuel and pump OK...

Piddled around with it for 3 hours, reseating connectors. Gave up in
disgust. Read most of the workshop manual I got off some bloke on CD, which
is missing some finer points for my '98 model... Pushed it into the garage
today, with the aim of testing the sensors etc to see if any had gone open
circuit, gave it one last crank and the old toad started first time.

Been fine today. Think I'll have to get Vauxhall to do an ECM diag on it,
see if it's logged anything. Unfortunately it's got an GM/ALDL diag port -
if it were the more modern OBD-II, which later Lanos's have, I might have
got a copy of ScanTool - would be fun to see what's going on...

******* over-complicated electronics...

Tim