Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge

Default Oil, Electric or Propane - which is best?

Hi Frank,

I would be surprised if you saved any money converting from oil to
propane, unless your existing oil-fired boiler is an older, less
efficient model and due for replacement. Do you happen to know its
efficiency rating by chance?

I use propane for my dryer, range, fireplaces and BBQ by way of a
quick-disconnect hook-up. It would have been simple (and in many ways
preferable) to run my boiler on propane as well, except that the cost
of propane here in Nova Scotia is almost double that of oil on a BTU
basis. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but if I had the panel
capacity, I would be inclined to install a small electric boiler as
backup to the heat pump and be done with it; my heat load is so modest
now the extra premium is hardly worth worrying about and I could
eliminate the need for one more fuel storage tank.

Cheers,
Paul

On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:40:34 GMT, "FrankO"
wrote:

Thanks all for the responses. BTW - Northeast US - Connecticut, USA to be
exact. Sorry for being so ethnocentric as to think that the whole world
know what I meant. I'm a dumb American.

Has anyone converted from oil to propane?
I guess I'm just wondering if, let's say someone has already done a
conversion - did their bottom line heat bill increased or decreased from the
switch.
Also, thanks for the feed back in "point of use" HW heaters. I've always
suspected the electric models because of the thermal transfer
characteristics of the electric heating elements to the actual potable water
supply. Has anyone used the gas models? I understand the thermal transfer
rates are better with gas fired unit (that's what THEY say anyhow).

Again, thanks for all the responses.
Best Regards,
FrankO