Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Trouble with cut-off operation on lathe

"Jim Reed" wrote in message
This is my first lathe and I am having trouble with using a cut-off tool.
I usually am cutting of mild steel, although I've tried stainless, brass,
and some junkyard shafts. The diameter ranges from 6" to 1". On almost
every cut I have the cut-off tool popping at times and chattering at other
times. All of my cuts look as though I used a machete and chopping motions
while the lathe rotated.
I have made sure the tool is 90 degrees to the work, that the tool meets
the work at or just below even with the center, and that everything is
tight. I have broken a few cutoff tools, and once hit the wall over 20
feet away with the broken piece. (Yes, I wear safety glasses). I am
using a tool by Wholesale Tool (wttool.com), page 156 of their latest
catalogue. It is a "P-Shaped M-2 cut off blade". Specifically, the P4 -
5/32X11/16X5. I flood the cutting area with oil. I have tried almost
every speed on the lathe - roughly 150 to 450 RPM. My lathe is a
Reed-Prentice 16X54, and the toolholder is an oriental Alorix knock-off.
I've used a new 15" four jaw and a 8" three jaw chuck.
What do I check/change?

I'm not familiar with the Alorix, is it ridgid? Carbide is the answer I'd
bet if you have the ridgidity. I use a big-assed QC post with as short as
possible carbide cut-off tool, very slow feed with flood oil...and it still
scares the crap out of me. I prefer to saw! That Reed-Prentice is a
WONDERFULL chunk of iron! I thought I had the only one. Would you have a
book on it?