Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

Default Bandsaw Question

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"Snag" wrote:

I have acquired a small tabletop bandsaw , and was wondering if it
might be suitable for cutting metal - with a proper blade . I
calculate the blade speed to be around 2700 ft per minute , and
there is no way to slow it any as it drives straight off the motor
shaft . Probable uses would be bar stock 1" or less , and sheet
metal 1/8" thick (~3 mm) or less .

With a good blade, it should do aluminium OK, but slowly if the motor
is small. Steel is totally out of the question at that speed.

What's the size, make and model, and the motor power?

Joe Gwinn

I was kinda expecting the responses I got . Too fast and too weak . It's a
Delta 28-160 10" and the motor tag sez it's 1/5 hp . Looks like this one
will be reserved for plastics and wood . I got it for like 5 bucks from a
kid who worked at a cabinet shop with me . Spent 12 bucks for tires , and a
decent blade should run around 10 or 12 , so I'm not too deep into it . Not
that I want to do woodwork at home after a full day of it ...
Metalworking relaxes me , unlike my friend Bill the machinist . He does
woodworking for fun .
--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"