Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

Default fire proofing shop

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have built a two story 30' x 40' stick framed shop. The main floor
is separated into two sections, one which I plan to insulate, houses my
machine tools, the other I use for welding, car repair etc. Niether
area is panelled yet and I tying to decide how I should go about it.
My current idea for the welding area is to cover the lower 48" with
cement board ($30 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and the remainder with Aspenite
covered in flame retardent paint ($11 for a 4 x 8 sheet). I do not
want to use drywall because I do not want to tape it and it will get
all bashed up. Does anyone have an opinion on the flame retardent
paint?

stan

We had to coat some columns with a fire retardant paint about four years
ago. Got the stuff from Sherwin-Williams, it was a special order and not
cheap. Very heavy bodied paint, rather difficult to work with even for an
experienced painter.