Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Trouble with cut-off operation on lathe

try making your cutoff cut wider than your tool before your cutoff
groove gets too deep in the material. for example, poke your cutoff
tool into the material .025, then move the tool over about .050 then go
another .025, then move back and poke in another .025 so your groove
is .050 wider than the tool to allow relief so the material doesnt
pinch the tool. also use lots of cutting oil and make sure your tool
is sharp.

if you can use a saw instead, It would probably be better

Jim Reed wrote:
This is my first lathe and I am having trouble with using a cut-off tool. I
usually am cutting of mild steel, although I've tried stainless, brass, and
some junkyard shafts. The diameter ranges from 6" to 1". On almost every
cut I have the cut-off tool popping at times and chattering at other times.
All of my cuts look as though I used a machete and chopping motions while
the lathe rotated.
I have made sure the tool is 90 degrees to the work, that the tool meets the
work at or just below even with the center, and that everything is tight. I
have broken a few cutoff tools, and once hit the wall over 20 feet away with
the broken piece. (Yes, I wear safety glasses). I am using a tool by
Wholesale Tool (wttool.com), page 156 of their latest catalogue. It is a
"P-Shaped M-2 cut off blade". Specifically, the P4 - 5/32X11/16X5. I flood
the cutting area with oil. I have tried almost every speed on the lathe -
roughly 150 to 450 RPM. My lathe is a Reed-Prentice 16X54, and the
toolholder is an oriental Alorix knock-off. I've used a new 15" four jaw
and a 8" three jaw chuck.
What do I check/change?