Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Default Is my moisture meter working?

Not sure you understand that RH / EMC concept. If species A says 6% and
species B 8% in the same controlled environment which should give 7% EMC,
then you have a provisional correction of +1 and -1, respectively. Now
follow changes and increase your sample size.

As to oven drying, the advantage to NDT is the number of samples you can
take. Overall, I think this is going to be more meaningful.

He could just say - the meter indicates that it's below 10% - close
enough, use it .............;-)

Or, as I, who no longer bothers to meter, say - It's not as if drying it
for use next week will make a difference week after next.

George,

You're absolutely right. I use the moisture meter I bought a few years back
after I got stuck with some badly dried white oak from a now defunct
supplier. I've compared readings with two other meters better rated than
mine and its close enough. It is good to have a meter though so you can
better judge the wood when someone say's "this wood has been air-dried in
the barn for x years" and it still reads 18%......

Bob S.