Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Hovering Bumble Bees

On 12 May 2006 18:24:08 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

Bert Byfield wrote:
I've got some big black not-very-fuzzy bees hovering about two fee off
my rafter edges. Anyone know what that behavior means? They're quick,
too, they dodge the spray can pretty well.

These bees can be quite destructive to wood -- even treated lumber.
They will eventually hollow out the board. I would suggest a thick coat
of paint on the bottom surface of the wood to discourage them as they
always bore holes on the bottom side.

No they don't always. In my case and my neighbors' they made the
holes on the side side, that is, the back side, facing the house, of a
2 inch high, 20 foot wide, almost one inch thick, "decorative" piece
of wood that runs in front of the soffitt vents. I guess it's purpose
is to hide the vents to some extent.

I actually never killed any of these things. I filled the holes, and
they left. I had to paint over the drippings they had made. Maybe if
I had gotten to them before they had finished their holes, it would
have been harder to get rid of them.