Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Hovering Bumble Bees

On 12 May 2006 11:26:17 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Bert Byfield wrote:
I've got some big black not-very-fuzzy bees hovering about two fee off
my rafter edges. Anyone know what that behavior means? They're quick,
too, they dodge the spray can pretty well.

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ent...ruct/ef611.htm

Probably carpenter bees.

See also http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod02/01500558.html
http://www.bugspray.com/article/carpenterbees.html
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1056/
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1056/ANR-1056.pdf

They have a stinger but rarely sting unless provoked.

It's a long url, but roughly what it says is stick a moth ball in the
holes and plug with plastic wood or something.

Unfortunately I iddn't read the url until after I plugged the holes,
so I didn't use moth balls. It still got rid of them for several
years. Some of the adjoinging townhouses have yellow dribbles, and I
think some/all of that from after I had my bees. But my bees haven't
come back, and no other bees have either.