Grant Erwin

Default Harbor freight tools

I'm amazed at how closed-minded some people are in the face of
such staggering amounts of experience and accumulated knowledge.
As far as I'm concerned, Harold, you have totally proven your case
and don't need to respond to this thread any more! - GWE

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
m...

Hey this is REC. It isn't your job to post here. It is just done for
fun and helping people.

That said, I disagree with both of you. I do agree with Halold on
Diamonds. That is why Borazon is used on Steel. Diamonds don't last
and it does have to do with the fact they are carbon and I think it is
because the steel reacts with the carbon.

Pretty much supported by the concepts in industry, although I have little to
document that concept. I do have ample information suggesting diamond
grinding wheels not be used on steel.

But I disagree with what was said about silicon Carbide.

Ah! Now we're talking. I have in my possession enough published
information to substantiate the fact that silicon carbide does, indeed,
dissolve in steel.

One must consider that at the point of contact, terrific heat is generated,
so the rules sort of change. Because of the intense heat, there is dulling
of the grain attributed to dissolving into steel. I'll gladly forward a
scan of the information to you. One of my references is a soft bound
booklet by Norton Company, copyright 1951. It is titled Lectures on
Grinding. On page 19 there are two paragraphs that describe the accepted
theory of the reaction.

Anyone interested in a scan is invited to request it. I'll get it out as
quickly as possible.

Harold